||2013 For the Record
- Volvo Construction Equipment (Volvo CE) is extending its business relationship with Swedish manufacturer Steelwrist AB for the supply of factory-fitted Tiltrotators for excavators to include the supply of excavator quick couplers. Steelwrist’s new quick coupler technology is designed to always maintain the attachment in a safe position, even if the operator should fail in the connection procedure, the company says. Volvo says the development of this new quick coupler technology is based on the increasing quality and safety demands in standards and from markets. “The Volvo CE quick coupler strategy is based on the Symmetrical Quick Coupler standard and Steelwrist’s patented front pin lock coupler technology,” says Karl Serneberg, Volvo CE’s global director of attachments. “Our strategic partnership with Steelwrist gives us a competitive advantage in this area.” Volvo Group Venture Capital also has invested in Steelwrist AB, becoming a minority shareholder in the company. “We invest in companies with market-leading products and services, and where an investment from Volvo can accelerate growth for both parties. Steelwrist has a strong product portfolio as well as a leading position in a fast growing global market and we are excited to engage in driving growth of Steelwrist’s business,” says Johan Carlsson, president, Volvo Group Venture Capital.
- Red-D-Arc, owned by Airgas, Radnor, Pa., has acquired D&D Power, a Texas-based equipment rental and services business that provides mobile power generation and light towers, as well as preventative maintenance and other services, to the oil and gas exploration and production industry.
- National Trench Safety (NTS), Houston, has acquired certain operating assets of US Shoring’s Tampa and Miami operations in Florida. NTS specializes in the rental and sales of trench and traffic safety equipment, as well as OSHA-compliant training classes.The Florida locations are the 17th and 18th branch locations for National Trench Safety in the United States. NTS now has operations in Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Utah.
- Kiloutou Group, Paris, has acquired Urbaparc, a five-location business that specializes in the rental of equipment for public works. Urbaparc, founded in 1994, has 44 employees and a fleet of more than 1,500 machines. Its five branches operate in the Ile de France region. Xavier du Boÿs, head of Kiloutou, said, “This acquisition is part of the dynamic growth Kiloutou. It allows the Group to strengthen its presence in the public works market in Ile de France and expand the territorial coverage to this area’s customers.”
- Under a new, non-exclusive licensing and supply agreement, which took effect on Jan. 1, 2013, CNH Global, Burr Ridge, Ill., and Kobelco Construction Machinery are unwinding their joint ownership and equity participations in all the companies formed in connection with their previous alliance and eliminating any geographical exclusivity rights associated with their agreements. CNH will continue to manufacture hydraulic excavators incorporating current Kobelco technology at its Calhoun, Ga.; San Mauro, Italy; and Belo Horizonte, Brazil, manufacturing facilities and will continue to source select models, including short-radius excavators, from Kobelco in Japan for no less than five years and component parts no less than 10 years. Kobelco Construction Machinery will market and provide services on its own in North America, Europe, South America, the Middle East and Africa. Moving forward, CNH will market full-sized excavators featuring Kobelco technology under its New Holland Construction brand and compact excavators under its New Holland Construction and Case Construction Equipment brands.
- Hugg & Hall Equipment Co., Little Rock, Ark., has acquired Westquip, Oklahoma City, Okla. Terms of the deal weren’t released. Formed in 1982, Westquip is a full-line material handling dealership selling new and used industrial equipment. Hugg & Hall has 14 full-service branches in five states. Hugg & Hall is an authorized dealer for Toyota and Taylor forklifts, as well as an equipment dealer for Volvo, Bobcat, Crown, Genie, SkyJack, JLG, Baldor, GNB, Manitou, Makita, Sullair, Hoist, SkyTrak, Capacity and Doosan.