New venue and products add excitement to The Rental Show 2013
The Rental Show returns to Las Vegas in 2013 and finding value by attending is about as sure of a bet as you can make.
The sold-out exhibit floor promises to be filled with a variety of products and services, much of which will be upgraded or new to the rental industry as a record number of 115 exhibitors this year submitted products for The Hot List, Rental Management’s annual supplement about products introduced by exhibitors in the last year.
More than 600 companies, including more than 60 first-time exhibitors, will display products and service on the show floor this year at The Sands Expo and Convention Center, a new Las Vegas location for The Rental Show near the center of the famous Las Vegas Strip.
“New products continue to be the profit feature of The Rental Show, with many more new products on display in 2013 than in past years. The trade show will present a dynamic and plentiful choice of rental products for attendees to choose from in building a strong and profitable competitive advantage for their business,” says Christine Wehrman, executive vice president and CEO of the American Rental Association (ARA), organizers of The Rental Show.
“I often describe The Rental Show as the ‘showcase event’ for the equipment rental industry, bringing together the people, product and profit potential of the industry in one location. With the industry in North America generating nearly $36 billion of rental revenue in 2012, The Rental Show is where you gain the edge for profitability in your rental business. The show is truly the ‘one-stop shop’ to success in this business,” Wehrman says.
In addition to the trade show, The Rental Show includes several educational opportunities for attendees.
Events & Tents, a full-day program for those in the party and special event rental segment on Saturday, Feb. 9, will kick off with a Fabric Fashion Show and move into seminars including a variety of educational seminars focusing on sales/marketing, operations and management, trends and technology, and tenting. There will also be a luncheon and program, “Attention to Detail: Showcasing Your Art, Craft and Design” presented by Sasha Souza. An optional reception will be held at the Keep Memory Alive Event Center.
ARA also will offer a variety of educational sessions all day on Sunday, Feb. 10, including special seminars focused on implementation of Tier 4, building business value, and health care for your rental business. Topics covered also will include raising revenues, measuring business performance and keeping customers happy.
Seminars will include a Rental Town Hall for those in the party and event segment and one for those in the construction and tool segment on Tuesday, Feb. 12, starting at 8 a.m., as well as the seminar “Being Profitable in the New Economy” presented by Stephen Shapiro.
Lt. Col. Rob “Waldo” Waldman will present a special “Wednesday Wake-Up Session: Never Fly Solo” on Feb. 13 at 8 a.m. Waldman spoke at the ARA Leadership Conference in October, telling those in the audience how his life experiences and advice from his best-selling book, “Never Fly Solo,” could be applied to the rental industry.
Waldman overcame a lifelong battle with claustrophobia and a fear of heights to become a combat-decorated U.S. Air Force fighter pilot and successful entrepreneur. His message resonated with many of the conference attendees. After relating a story about how he “knocked out” Sugar Ray Leonard to win a keynote speaking engagement, he told the crowd, “You’re small businesses. You may not have the brand against some competitors up the street, but you have to want it more. You have to want the sale and be prepared.”
The keynote session on Monday, Feb. 11, starting at 8 a.m., features Capt. Mark Kelly, who will speak about courage, hope and more. Kelly, captain of the last flight of the space shuttle, Endeavour, is the husband of former Rep. Gabrielle “Gabby” Giffords. Their book, “Gabby,” is about their journey after she was injured during a random mass shooting in 2011.
In addition, the Rental Hall of Fame induction ceremony will honor the newest inductees, Robert Elmen, owner of Elmen Enterprises, Sioux Falls, S.D., and Paul Coogan, past president and CEO of Aggregate Equipment and Supply, Peoria, Ill. Mike Flesher, ARA president, and Mike Blaisdell, ARA president-elect, will offer a unique presentation concerning the state of ARA and the equipment rental industry in an ESPN-style “Mike and Mike in the Morning” format.
The sold-out exhibit floor opens at 10 a.m. on Monday following the keynote session.
Several other networking events will allow attendees to mingle and share ideas during the show.
- Lunch With ARA, noon to 1:30 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 10, includes the presentation of ARA volunteer recognition awards, ARA Foundation donor awards and recognition of the Certified Event Rental Professional (CERP) graduates. Tickets are $20 and advance registration and ticket are required.
- ARA Young Professional Network Reception, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 10, at FIRST Food and Bar inside The Shoppes at The Palazzo, is hosted by the ARA Foundation and is for young professionals between the ages of 18 and 40 and their parents or mentors. Tickets are $50 per person and the event is limited to 200 attendees.
- Regional Receptions, 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., at The Sands Expo and Convention Center, includes receptions hosted by each of ARA’s 10 regions for its members. Tickets are $20 each. Advance registration and ticket are required.
- Reception With a Purpose Including ARA Foundation Charity Auction, 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 12, at The Sands Expo and Convention Center, will include hors d’oeuvres plus complimentary beer, wine and soft drinks for the first hour followed a fast-paced live charity auction conducted by Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers. The auction includes rental equipment and items donated by exhibitors with the proceeds benefitting the ARA Foundation’s programs.
- International Reception, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 12, at The Sands Expo and Convention Center is specifically for international show attendees from outside the United States and Canada. Tickets are complimentary and advance registration is required.
- A Night in Fabulous Las Vegas, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 12, in the Nevada Ballroom at Harrah’s Las Vegas, is the show’s feature event with the ballroom turned into a vintage Rat Pack-era Vegas style venue with food, beverages, disc jockey Jammin’ Jon and more. Tickets are $40 per person with food and two drink tickets included.
“Attendees will be pleased with the ease of this new Las Vegas location. The close proximity of the trade show to seminar and meeting rooms, events and hotels is so convenient that attendees will have a more profitable use of time in their day. This is a great event, location and venue that offers the best investment a rental company can make for 2013. I guarantee show attendance will pay you back in profit many times over,” Wehrman says.
What to do to attend The Rental Show
With The Rental Show less than a month away — Feb. 10-13 at The Sands Expo and Convention Center — here are the four things you need to do right now if you haven’t done so already.
- Register. Advanced registration is available until Feb. 1. Full registration for American Rental Association (ARA) members is $250 and $350 for prospective members. On-site registration begins after Feb. 1 and is $275 for ARA members and $375 for prospective members. To register online, visit TheRentalShow.com and click on the “Register” tab.
- Book your hotel. Hotels have been filling up quickly for The Rental Show. To book a hotel, visit TheRentalShow.com and click on the “Hotels and Travel” tab. Currently, there are eight show hotels, including Bally’s Las Vegas, Fairfield Inn Las Vegas, Harrah’s Las Vegas, Hilton Grand Vacations Suites at the Flamingo, Paris Las Vegas, Treasure Island and The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino. The Trump Hotel Las Vegas was sold out as of Dec. 17. If you have questions on any of the properties or prefer to book by phone, call Travel Planners at 800-221-3531 or 212-532-1660 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Time.
- Book your flight. For assistance in booking your flight to The Rental Show, contact The Travel Business, ARA’s official travel agency. Call 800-747-0070 (U.S. and Canada) or 309-762-9625 weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Central Time. You also can book online at resx.com. Enter company ID TTB-3355 and member ID TheRentalShow to get started. No password is needed the first time you log in. Once you do, the system will prompt you to create your own member ID and password.
- Remember security when packing. Bring good walking shoes and remember the “3-1-1 rule” for airline travel: Place liquids, gels and aerosols in 3-oz. containers, in a one-quart-size, clear plastic, zip-top bag, one bag per traveler. Be prepared to remove shoes, belts, jewelry and pocket change prior to security, and to put your plastic bags of liquids as well as laptop computers into a bin for screening.
The Rental Show heads to Orlando in 2014
In 2014, The Rental Show will take place in Orlando, Fla., Feb. 9-12, at the Orange County Convention Center. The show will be housed in the same North-South halls as in 2010.
The location for The Rental Show 2013 was shifted to Las Vegas in order to schedule Orlando for 2014 so that The Rental Show would not be in the same city as ConExpo-CON/AGG, which is held once every three years in Las Vegas.
“Our exhibitors asked us to change the location, so that we weren’t in the same city as ConExpo-CON/AGG, so that’s what we’ve done,”
says Allison Box, senior administrative director of association services for the American Rental Association (ARA), organizers of The Rental Show.
The exhibitor prospectus for The Rental Show 2014 will be available at The Rental Show in Las Vegas. Attendees also may register for the 2014 show at The Rental Show in Las Vegas. For more information, go to TheRentalShow.com.